My Labor & Delivery Story

It was just like any other 3rd trimester day.. It was Friday, July 6th, and I had reached my 38th week. Through that whole week I had severe sciatic nerve pain and too much pressure on my pubic bone. There weren’t any signs that I would go into labor besides the normal Braxton Hicks contractions I was having since the beginning of the 3rd trimester.

That night I came home feeling really bummed out from all the work load I was leaving behind at the office and kind of nervous from all of it. Robert decided to play basketball after work and I just wanted to rest. I put Nathan to bed early and decided to try to sleep early too. Robert and I had a little intimate time when he came home, and right after that I started having REALLY bad dull contractions. It was shooting from my back to my pelvis and back again. I used Bloomlife and it was tracking that I was having contractions every 8 minutes, so I shook it off and tried to go back to sleep.  The following morning, I felt fine so I just presumed they were prodromal symptoms. Then after 11 a.m. I started having them again! It was getting stronger, but still tracking every 10-12 minutes apart, so I sucked it up and continued with my day. We even ran errands at Costco and Target! The contractions were intermittent and lasted through Sunday afternoon! My oils really helped relieve me during these prodromal symptoms! I used Lavender for calming; Deep Relief for my lower back & sciatic pain; and Clary Sage on my ankles to stimulate the contractions.

On Sunday night, I turned on Bloomlife to track my contractions during my sleep and to see if there was any progress. I woke up around midnight with stronger and closer contractions and I told myself, “these are definitely not Braxton Hicks!” So I called Labor & Delivery and explained to them that my contractions may not be every 5 minutes but every 6-8 minutes! They told me to come in to just check, so we quickly packed our things, dropped off Nathan at my moms & off to the hospital we went!

We arrived there around 12:30 am, I asked to be triaged instead of being admitted just in case it was a false alarm. I brought my oils with me and Robert kept massaging my ankles and my lower back as the contractions kept progressing. When the midwife came to check if I was dilated, we were all surprised to learn that I was already 5 centimeters dilated and 90% effaced!! It was crazy! So the whole weekend, I was pretty much in early labor! I was so glad we got to complete all the tasks needed around the house!

So after she checked me, I was then admitted to the labor and delivery room! They asked for my birth plan and I honestly did not have one! All I know was, I wanted Robert there, an epidural, and for Ylang Ylang and Lavender to be diffused to calm me.

I received the epidural around 2 am & after that, I just rested and waited. I was slowly progressing and my cervix was dilating a centimeter more every couple hours. Through the night and morning, Robert kept massaging my inner ankles with Clary Sage to promote my contractions and I didn’t need to have Pitocin. All the nurses were happy to report that my body was doing work all on it’s own (well with an epidural of course) Knowing this information kept me positive and calm. the sound of her strong heart beat on the monitor was the only melody I wanted to hear in my room. Though I was calm, I was also a little anxious inside cause I wanted to see her already. I couldn’t sleep with the anticipation!

At about 10:30 am, I was at 8.5 centimeters dilated and I knew I was ready to push any time now. I felt a weird “thump” hit my anus followed by a warm gush! My water finally broke!! After that, my contractions were getting closer and closer & the feeling of needing to “poo” was starting! Around 11:50 am I told the midwife that I am ready to push!

I watched the fetal monitor to track when my contraction was about to come so that I can prepare to inhale, exhale and push for 10 seconds. My mom was in the room too, and Robert and my mom were so supportive. They fed me ice chips, massaged my back, helped lift my legs up, used words of encouragement. They were a great support!! I felt like I was pushing forever, but almost an hour later, I delivered a healthy baby girl!

Disclaimer, all my photos I look like complete wreck, but I was ugly crying happy tears that she was finally out and all that pain, pushing, and 38 weeks of a rollercoaster pregnancy was over and I was soooooo ready to have her in my arms!

Baby girl arrived at 12:40 p.m! After her delivery, she was quickly in my arms and we did skin to skin right away!

I was in labor 12 hours and to me that was fast. I was in labor for 30 hours with Nathan, so it was a shock to me how quick this time around was. I feel because I knew what to expect and opted for an epidural right away, it helped ease me a lot better than the first time. Perhaps it was all the flights of stairs I climbed at work or my essentials oils. Whatever it was, the second time around was a great experience for me and I’m so thankful for my family and the nurses there supporting me through. Would I do it again? Well, maybe just once more ☺️

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s