Do you guys ever have those days where you want to make a completely separate dish from what the baby will eat? I am guilty of this. Sometimes, I want a really spicy dish, or a very oily dish. Which I can’t serve to the little one. He likes a little bit of a kick in his food, but not a lot. Whereas I LOVE SPICY! So when I made this dish, I made him a separate dish. I made him a lemon orzo soup (also from pinterest).
This orzo dish turned out really good, and the leftovers the next day tasted even better! I think this will be a recipe I’m going to make often because relatives and the hunny loved it too. So without further adieu– let’s get started!
Spicy Orzo w/ Shrimp, Asparagus & Feta
Yield: Serves 4
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo
- 1 1/2 tablespoons EVOO (to sautee shrimp & asparagus)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes (you can add less, but I like the heat)
- 1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and roughly chopped into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 4 tablespoons fresh juice from 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon EVOO (save this for the end)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1) Cook orzo according to package and set aside
2) Heat EVOO to skillet until shimmering under medium heat.
3) Add garlic and chili flakes, stir & cook until fragrant for about 1 minute.
4) Add asparagus, salt & pepper, and cook for roughly 3-4 minutes. Cook until tender, but retains a crisp bite.
5) Add the shrimp and coo for about 4 minutes until pink and opaque.
6) Lower heat, and add cooked orzo to the skillet and stir to combine ingredients.
7) Add in lemon juice, dill, EVOO, and feta cheese. Gently toss to combine all ingredients and add on a little more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve immediately and enjoy!
This dish actually pretty good when it was cold too!
Try out this recipe, and let me know if you liked it! It kind of reminds me of a nice Greek salad. I hope you guys enjoyed this post! Mmm thinking of this meal is making me hungry! Gotta go find a snack!
Til Next Time,